WARNING: There are spoilers up ahead, so if you haven’t watched Season 1 of Teen Wolf you may not want to read this post. If you have watched it, then onwards!
Season 1 of MTV’s Teen Wolf just came to an action-packed and mysterious close. After watching the last episode I have to admit that I can’t wait for season 2. MTV really surprised me with this one, usually their shows are low-budget crap, but Teen Wolf was shockingly good. There were loads of things I loved about this season 1, as well as a few things I hated. Here’s a look at my likes, dislikes and my hopes for season 2.
- The character development. I was disappointed by the characters in the first episode, they all appeared to be the stereotypical overly cliché high school teens shown in damn near every movie and TV show. But I was wrong. The writers surprised me throughout the series by giving each character history and depth. What I originally thought were blah shallow characters were actually realistic teenagers with real issues and interesting backstories.
- The twists and turns in the plot. They always kept you guessing and nothing was predictable. Like, I was convinced that the alpha was either the teacher or the vet, but it wasn’t.
- Stiles! I love this character, he is absolutely hilarious! He steals damn near every scene he is in, both the funny ones and the serious ones.
- Derek being the new alpha. I love that and can’t wait to see what he does with his newfound powers.
- Kate’s death. YAY!
- Some of the messages in the show. I know I sound like an uptight old lady saying this, but I didn’t care for some of the messages this show was sending out to its teenage viewers. I understand that it’s not meant to teach anyone anything, that it’s just an entertaining show, not a guide. But there were a few things that irritated me, like how Allison didn’t consider having sex with Scott until Lydia suggested it. She just ran off and instantly stole a condom so she could get it on. I mean, it’s great that she planned safe sex and all, but I didn’t really like the message that “hey teens, you should have sex because your friends tell you to!” I also didn’t like how the show insinuates that being pretty and popular is more important than being intelligent. I love that Lydia is brilliant, but I don’t love that she hides it and pretends to be dumb.
- Allison’s mom. I not only hate her but I am confused by her. If she a good guy or bad guy? We haven’t seen much of her, but what we have seen isn’t very nice. She’s a giant bitch.
- Allison siding with her aunt Kate. I know it didn’t last long, but I was pissed that she picked her side and helped Kate trap Scott and Derek. The guy tells you he loves you and a few hours later you’re pointing your bow and arrow at him? Lame.
- The special effects. They aren’t too bad for a TV show, but, there are a few alpha scenes that are laughably terrible. Hopefully since the show has been such a success MTV will give Teen Wolf a bigger budget next season.
- That we never learn about the vet! Scott’s boss knew about them, he even knew how to ward against the werewolves, but we never get his backstory.
- That Lydia grows a pair and stops hiding what she is. I also hope that she does turn into… something. At the end of the last episode they said she’s not a werewolf, but then hinted that she is something else. I can’t wait to see what that something is.
- That Stiles has even more scenes. I heart him! I would also like to see a little romance in the poor kid’s life. It’s not fair that Scott is the only one all happily in love.
- That Derek is shirtless more often. I also hope that he kicks lots of ass (preferably while shirtless). He got a whole lot of beatings this first season, so hopefully next season he is more of a badass.
- That we learn more about Scott’s boss!
- That Jackson stops being a whiny bitch. I understand the need for this character and I do actually find him interesting, but he can be SO annoying.
And I could go on and on about my likes, dislikes and hopes, but I shall stop now and give you guys the floor. What were your Teen Wolf likes and dislikes? And, what do you hope to see next season?